Toddlers are active and love learning through play. Books and reading are fun! Share books with toddlers by reading the text and talking about the pictures and stories.
- Toddlers will hold books and turn pages
- Toddlers can pay attention to a story; as they grow so will their attention span
- Do not worry if you do not read the entire book or skip pages
- Toddlers love reading the same book over and over again
- Toddlers can recite favorite stories and rhymes from memory
- Older toddlers will begin to pretend to read and pretend to write
Look for books that tell simple stories or books that rhyme. Silly books, animal books, and bed time books are very popular. Books that have flaps and interactive elements are also good choices.